Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Vyvanse - BE CAREFULL!!!


Vyvanse
Adult Attention Deficit Disorder seems to be a diagnosis that is becoming somewhat similar to the diagnosis of the common cold.  If you have a number of symptoms, then you have ADD!  Doctors are more apt to prescribe a medication rather than get to the real cause of your problem. 
About 2 years ago, I went to the neurologist to find out why I was having so much difficulty concentrating, staying on task, and remaining motivated.  I’m a single mother so I thought that maybe I was overwhelmed with work, school, and the kids with their activities. 
After about 2 minutes with the doctor, he told me that he was going to prescribe me a new ADD medication labeled “Vyvanse”.  He told me this before he even told me that I may have ADD in the first place.  So, because I desperately needed something to help me get through the day, and studying in the evening I thought I’d give it a shot. 
I was prescribed 30mg, which is to be taken once a day.  I started the dose on a Monday, and would continue taking it during the week with weekends off.
Vyvanse works really well after the first couple of days. I noticed a change in my ability to concentrate, get things done, and feel motivated.   But, at the same time I became less social and wanted to just sit and get my work done.  There is a period of about 1 to 3 hours after taking it where you feel euphoria.  I felt more talkative, energetic, happy to be around others….then that fades away and you just want to sit quietly and work alone.  It even got to the point where I felt like I couldn’t relay messages to people. My speech became strained for some reason; getting a thought expressed verbally becomes especially challenging.
I had so much trouble sleeping at night, so I had to switch to taking it every other day rather than daily. The first week was full of sleepless nights.  By the weekend, I was completely exhausted!  I gave the medication a break for a few days…..then BAM!  I felt extreme exhaustion, irritability, sensitivity, depression, stomach upset, hot flashes…and the list can go on and on! 
I felt as though I was having withdrawal symptoms – BUT WAIT!  I WAS having withdrawal symptoms! 
That following Monday, I took Vyvanse early in the morning, hoping for a better night’s rest. Everything went fine until around 5pm.  I started to feel apathetic, tired, irritable, and sick to my stomach.  I was snapping at my kids for asking the simplest questions.  I couldn’t stand listening to my daughter talk, which she does every evening to update me about her day.  I’m usually very excited and interested in listening to her talk about her day! 
I wanted to know what the heck was going on with me.  I felt very disappointed with the negative side effects of this medication because it really does help me concentrate better.  I decided to do a little internet research to find out exactly what was causing this extreme transition between feeling good, and feeling plain ole’ terrible!
I am going to try my best to explain this in simple language. Well, what I learned about Vyvanse is that it causes the dopamine levels in your brain to spike/increase.  But, instead of the dopamine passing between receptors, it’s being recycled so it keeps building up over time.  Those poor receptors aren’t able to do their job so they give up and wither away.  When you stop taking the medication, you not only have less dopamine in your system, but you also have less receptor to uptake the dopamine!
According to the knowledge spread across the internet, dopamine is essential to brain function in terms of concentration, motivation, excitement, and even movement.  Too much or too little dopamine in the system can cause very noticeable differences in the way we behave. 
My symptoms of low dopamine following just 1 day of stopping the medication cause symptoms that were very similar to menopause! 
What’s worse, the cause of most of our ADD symptoms derives from not having enough dopamine in our system, and so the purpose of prescribing and taking ADD medications in the first place.  There are other, safer means of leveling the amount of dopamine that is in the system.  They may not have the immediate affect that medications have, but they are by far safer and longer lasting.  I don’t know about you, but I like having a balanced mood!  I don’t enjoy going from feeling extremely happy and ready to take on the world, to feeling like the world is a terrible place!
Here is some information from the Integrative Psychiatry website which discusses ways to help maintain normal dopamine level with alternative uses. 
Dopamine : Natural ways to Increase Dopamine Levels
Dopamine is an excitatory and inhibitory neurotransmitter, depending on the dopamine receptor it binds to. It is derived from the amino acid tyrosine. Dopamine is the precursor to norepinephrine and epinephrine, which are all catecholamines. The function of dopamine is diverse but plays a large role in the pleasure/reward pathway (addiction and thrills), memory, and motor control. Dopamine, like norepinephrine and epinephrine, is stored in vesicles in the axon terminal.
Symptoms of Dopamine Deficiency
Low dopamine levels can cause depression, loss of motor control, loss of satisfaction, addictions, cravings, compulsions, low sex drive, poor attention and focus. When dopamine levels are elevated symptoms may manifest in the form of anxiety, paranoia, or hyperactivity.
  • Do you often feel depressed, flat, bored, and apathetic?
  • Are you low on physical or mental energy? Do you feel tired a lot; have to push yourself to exercise?
  • Is your drive, enthusiasm, and motivation on the low side?
  • Do you have difficulty focusing or concentrating?
  • Are you easily chilled? Do you have cold hands or feet?
  • Do you tend to put on weight too easily?
  • Do you feel the need to get more alert and motivated by consuming a lot of coffee or other "uppers" like sugar, diet soda, ephedra, or cocaine?
If you answered yes to any of the above you could have low dopmine levels.

What causes low dopamine levels?
Dopamine levels are depleted by stress, certain antidepressants, drug use, poor nutrition, and poor sleep. Alcohol, caffeine, and sugar all seem to decrease dopamine activity in the brain.
Foods that increase Dopamine
Food sources of dopamine increasing tyrosine include almonds, avocados, bananas, dairy products, lima beans, pumpkin seeds, and sesame seeds.
Dopamine is easily oxidized. Foods that are rich in antioxidants such as fruits and vegetables may help protect dopamine-using neurons from free radical damage. Many healthcare professionals recommend supplementing with vitamins C, vitamin E, and other antioxidants.
Foods such as sugar, saturated fats, cholesterol, and refined foods interfere with proper brain function and can cause low dopamine. Consumption of saturated fats and cholesterol should also be reduced because they can clog the arteries to the brain, heart, and other organs.
Caffeine must also be avoided by persons with depression. Caffeine is a stimulant which initially speeds up neurotransmission, raises the amount of serotonin, and temporarily elevates mood.
Increase dopamine production through the use of dopamine precursors.
Dopamine precursors are specific amino acids that our brains utilize to manufacture dopamine. Neurotransmitters are frequently not supplied in great enough levels by our modern diet or in the way our brain best utilizes them. As stress further depletes supplies it is difficult, if not impossible, for the brain to restore necessary amounts to proper levels. Dopamine supplements are required to increase dopamine and other neurotransmitter supplies. Dopamine supplements increase dopamine naturally with little to no side effects.
Knowing and understanding your medications and how they work can be an essential tool in identifying your symptoms and know what to do to fix them.  We live in a medicated world people!  Empower yourselves with knowledge so that you don’t suffer, and the people around you don’t suffer!  Vyvanse is a very helpful medication, but it can also become a deadly one if the side effects are not monitored. 
Stay safe everyone!  PEACE!

UPDATE: 02-01-2014

In my personal opinion, and as a person who was prescribed this medication; I do not feel it is a safe medication for overall well being.  It is a short-term medication which has the ability to assist you in meeting your short-term goals in focus and concentration, but I believe it degrades your natural ability to focus over time.  Currently, I am unable to read as quickly as I was able to before this medication, and I also have short term memory problems.  I thought I needed this medication before I started it, but now I know that I should have taken more natural approaches - example:  DISCIPLINE and HARD WORK.  This med has changed my chemistry for the worst, and I will never recommend this medication unless you have no other means. 

UPDATE: 09/24/2014

I have been doing some research on my recently diagnosed condition (fibromyalgia) and came across some information about ADRENAL FATIGUE.  
After doing some basic research concerning adrenal fatigue, I have learned that the use of Vyvanse and other amphetamine type meds WILL increase your risk of adrenal fatigue.  It takes 6 to 12 months to recover from this. 

22 comments:

  1. I absolutely have to comment on this post. Everything you described in this post describes me and my vyvanse withdrawls. A little bit of history in regards to adhd for myself. My mother put me on Ritalin in the fourth grade, switched to Concerta in high school (which I started flushing down the toilet.), and to date I am on Vyvanse. I did not like the way Concerta made me feel around my friends in high school, so I refused to take it. I great grades when I was on it, but also had a temper like no other so I stopped without telling my mother. Eventually, the last two years of high school, she knew I wasn't on it. I made average grades and graduated just fine. However, into college I started partying and finding excuses to easily distract me from studying. Long story short, in 2008 I started taking Vyvanse as it was me who decided I needed to get serious about life/school and wondered if it would help. It has done amazing things as far as productivity, focus, and school are concerned. I now have a degree in Radiologic Technology and have just recently started a specilization program in the radiology field into Radiation Therapy. All of a sudden, I would rather be at school than at work because I believe that I have found the career of my dreams! The medicine has worked great once again with my focus. However, I have recently been battling with my Vyvanse because I literally burnt myself out during x-ray school because of trying to be "superwomen" while on the medicine. I did have the summer off after passing my boards, although I basically slept because I decided I don't want to be on this medicine my whole life and thought my body could use a break. I am just curious because when I took the break, I was so so unproductive which was okay because I had been nonstop buring myself out for the last two years. My plan is to get off of it completely again after passing my Radiation Therapy boards. Except, I am so afraid of not being productive when I am finally done with school and want to sleep all the time, when I should be ready to take that next step in life. My question to you is this: Did you come out of your slump after taking Vyvanse? If so, what worked for you or did you try supplements for increasing your dopamine naturally? Has anything you tried helped with the focus and concentration factor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the lengthy time before I replied.

    To answer your questions: I did come out of my slump after taking Vyvanse. I decided to buy Bentonite Clay to detox my system. It's no fun,so make sure you have a few weeks of relaxation to detox. Doing yoga and drinking a lot of water helps with the detox. You don't want to take anything except vitamins and minerals while detoxing. After a few weeks, I started taking L-Theanine to help with concentration and focus. It's not as potent and Vyvanse, but it does the job. Also, avoid caffeine all together, and start drinking more water and drinks that hydrate the body. Caffeine is a terrible for healthy hormone levels. I am currently taking Ashwagandha supplements to help me feel calm and focused. So far, it's worked the best of all the supplements that I've tried thus far.

    I hope this information helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the BLOG!! Many are addicted to adrenaline rushes (excitement) and do not realize it. Cravings are indicators of issues in diet (so are mood swings, anger, and skin problems).
      Whether you "believe" in adrenal fatigue or not, does not affect the validity of its existence. In today's increasingly stressful lifestyle and the depletion of nutrition & assimilation/digestive health, plus toxic chemical overload in our environment, we need to become our own health care advocate. Be healthy & aware.

      Delete
  3. Hi! This really has intrigued me! Will you please let me know where I can read the stuff you found about receptors withering away and about increased risk of adrenal fatigue? I am not afraid to read clinical studies, so please don't hold back!
    With best regards, Sean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sean: I am so sorry I missed your reply. I rarely log in anymore!

      The information that I found is from the Integrative Psychiatry website. I have since stopped taking all prescribed medications and detoxed my system. I am doing much better now! I have tried nootropics (sulbutiamine) and use those when I need a boost. I don't have a specific link or information that is exceptional, I just looked around on the internet for information.

      Delete
  4. "After doing some basic research concerning adrenal fatigue, I have learned that the use of Vyvanse and other amphetamine type meds WILL increase your risk of adrenal fatigue."

    The whole Adrenal fatigue theory is alternative medicine babble and alternative medicine is a nice way of saying there's no evidence. If your doctor diagnoses you with AF, I'd recommend you immediately grab something sharp for self-defense while backing away slowly until you've reached the parking lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As long as Shire doesn't seem to be very concerned about uploading this (#@%×) SIDE EFFECTS, i've been searching on net, (dentists and doctors also doesn't seem to be very concerned about, and neither have knowlege of the side effects, i'm searching THE CAUSE OF ##MY PAIN## on my mouth/face/arms/hands, and agree the symthoms ARE KIND OF A FIBROMYALGYA as related! Then i agree with your founds. I'm Waiting for some blood test results, but this idea you posted seems to be closer to what has happened to me. Real pain. Very sad. Now REALLY SICK, nobody helps me and i'm tracking by myself the side effects one by one. It's really a sad world

      Delete
  5. Hello. I am not buying into everyone having adrenal fatigue, but I am wondering it is simply a semantic thing, i.e., adrenal insufficiency vis-a-vis adrenal "fatigue."

    I found this abstract to be of interest: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/17481504/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what the true facts are about adrenal fatigue, and if it's just something that people throw out there; all I have is my own personal experience to reference. I can tell you that after taking Vyvanse and other ADD medications, I suffered from heart palpitations, inability to handle stress, fatigue, and irritability. I didn't have these symptoms before I started, and any similar symptoms were way less intense prior to starting the medications. It took me about 6 months to get my system back on track.

      Delete
  6. This was very great insight. I do not recommend taking vyvanse. It has a fast reversal affect, that will cause greater fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was very great insight. I do not recommend taking vyvanse. It has a fast reversal affect, that will cause greater fatigue.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's taken me years to get the medication thing right but it's been worth it as I find medication management a lot easier than trying to manage my ADHD naturally and believe me I have tried .I got diagnosed later in life around the time I saw it in my eldest child. I never even believed in ADHD. Let me say this ADHD is a a genetic neuro disorder that affects the dopamine metabolic pathways. This is why stimulants work to calm us down as they allow us to better access those pathways. Amphetamines ie vyvanse are very strong medications that demand a lot from your body. They deplete you of nutrients that need to be replaced otherwise the drug can turn on you and stimulate too many stress hormones. I have learnt to use vyvanse very effectively and it has changed my life. If I use no meds I'm completely underaroused and have to constantly move to fire up those pathways.Before I knew I had inattentive adhd I used go to sleep in class or situations when I sit still for too long. Without meds it's like I have adrenal fatigue anyway so I'd rather use meds and do all the things Ive learnt to do to stay on top of things. I'll give you examples.
    You need to have a big breakfast with high quality protein to set yourself up for the day. You need to eat every 3-4 hours to replenish what the vyvanse is taking from your body. Do not eat any sugar while you are on vyvanse as that's the high you feel when you come crashing down. If you do things right you should not feel euphoric or feel any come down. You're either taking too much or eating too much sugar. Supplement with magnesium as this will help you stay relaxed. B vitamins are another thing you should be taking as well as a quality multi vitamin. Exercise to help you naturally release dopamine which can lift you out of those lows . Keep your blood sugar stable by eating regular meals with good amounts of protein and quality fat and not too many carbs as they stress your adrenals when you eat too much of them. I've come to the conclusion that my life is far better with vyvanse and plan on staying with it for as long as it works for me. I'm not saying it is for everyone with ADHD but it's done wonders for me. Dopamine receptors dont wither away they actually down regulate as your body wants equilibrium. I have discovered with me this isn't a problem as I'm already very low dopamine so the meds help keep me in equilibrium. Everyone is so different though but if I can't manage my symptoms naturally (gave in after many years) then vyvanse is a life saver for people like me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! You described exactly my life. I am mellow and level on vyvance, no euphoria here. Still working out supplements and forcing myself to keep nutrient levels up.

      Delete
  9. Hey! I'm having so suffer by taking this, i really can't stand anymore. If does anyone can help me i would apreciate. English is not ny mother language... i live in brazil. Doctor started with this medicine about 6 months ago, and now i alone decided do give up because of many_several_terrible side effects that doctor cant solve! I have pain in all my mouth/face, even saliva has changed! Already went to two different dentists wich found NOTHING! I have been wich so much pain in my arm, back,and now in my both hands! So pain i cant stand opening a tooth paste, and this moment my mouth/face is so incresed in its volume, it seems is gonna explode! This has been my life in about one month already. Has been two weeks i'm not taking this. If you can help me, i will wait for help. Feeling terrible and thanks for wrinting about it.Absoluttely dont recomend it to my major enemy. :/

    ReplyDelete
  10. In my personal experience, all of these side effects happen if you aren't eating enough and not staying hydrated. I was experiencing a bunch of uncomfortable side effects but when I made sure to keep my blood sugar from dropping I felt MUCH better. It's like night and day for me. When I forget to eat and stay hydrated my crash feels awful and the worst part is the anxiety. When I eat, I still feel a comedown but it's much smoother than if I haven't been eating enough throughout the day. I've found bananas are good to eat between meals because they're quick and easy and have potassium and magnesium, both of which are depleted by stimulants like Vyvanse. It's almost as if my body is more high maintenance while on Vyvanse. I hope this helps ! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. When I was twelve back in 2012, I had just stopped this medication after being forced to be on it by my family doctor for 7 years. I had just come out of a drugged haze and I had no memory of my childhood other than being traumatized by kids for not being able to verbalize things and for having nervous habits.Now I have IBS, depression, several mood disorders and I am ALWAYS, ALWAYS tired. The only time I feel good is when I am smoking medical m.j.
    I have all these issues due to being on Vyvanse for so long and as a child who was still developing. I hate the pharmaceutical industry and doctors now, and I use good old green tea for my natural alternative to vyvanse and I use Marijuana for my anxiety disorder.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We are a pharmaceutical site that supplies ADD/ADHD products with or without a script you can place an order at our website .
    We process all orders on a secured server and we have discreet and fast delivery services available.Quality is exceptional.
    You can order Vyvanse, Adderall and other ADHD medications at discounted prices.
    For more visit our web page at www.authenticmeds.com
    Call or text or whats app +1916-407-2673

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are a small pharmacy ,we sell our products everywhere in the world but our target market is USA and Europe. Buy Lunesta Online

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am bold enough among many others to state that there is now a potent cure to this sickness but many are unaware of it. I discovered that I was infected with the virus 3 months ago, after a medical check-up. My doctor told me and I was shocked, confused and felt like my world had crumbled. I was dying slowly due to the announcement of my medical practitioner but he assured me that I could leave a normal life if I took my medications (as there was no medically known cure to Herpes). I went from churches to churches but soon found that my case needed urgent attention as I was growing lean due to fear of dying anytime soon. In a bid to look for a lasting solution to my predicament, I sought for solutions from the herbal world. I went online and searched for every powerful trado-medical practitioner that I could severe, cos I heard that the African Herbs had a cure for Herpes syndrome. It was after a little time searching the web that I came across one Dr Itua(A powerful African Herbal Doctor), who offered to help me at a monetary fee. I had to comply as this was my final bus-stop to receiving a perfect healing. My last resolve was to take my life by myself, should this plan fail. At last it worked out well. He gave me some steps to follow and I meticulously carried out all his instructions. Last month, to be precise, I went back to the hospital to conduct another test and to my amazement, the results showed that negative,Dr Itua Can As Well Cure The Following Desease…Cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Shingles, Hepatitis B,Liver Inflammatory,Diabetes,Fibroid,Parkinson's,Alzheimer’s disease,Bechet’s disease,Crohn’s disease,Cushing’s disease,Heart failure,Multiple Sclerosis,HypertensionFatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Autism,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone ToxicitySyndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresS sclerosis,Seizures,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases,,Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.
    Dementia.,Lyme Disease,,Non Hodgkin Lymphoma,Skin Cancer,Uterine Cancer,Prostate Cancer Dercum,Lupus,Hpv,Weak Erection,Infertility,fibromyalgia,Chronic Diarrhea,Get Your Ex Back,Als,SYPHILIS,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Breast CANCER,Lung Cancer,Prostate Cancer,Autism,Brain Cancer,Genetic disease,Epilepsy, Parkinson's disease..You can free yourself of this Herpes virus by consulting this great African Herbal Doctor via this email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com / . or call and whatsapp him on +2348149277967 He will help you and his herb medication is sure. he has the cure on all disease .You can talk to me on INSTAGRAM..tashamoore219.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Currently taking Vyvanse 40mg daily (started 11 months ago) and my son started this before 13 months ago. I am starting to see this is not working any longer like it once did. I only seem to hyper focus for a few hours then I am all over the place mentally. I found your post because I am wanting to see what I am up against when I stop and if there is a way to minimize the withdrawal. I am now worried and concerned for my 12 year old son and what this has done to him. We both have had changes in our personalities. We were both always happy go lucky free spirited social butterflies but now we just want to close up and work on whatever we have to get done or our current tasks. Thank you for your post. I am wide awake now on the matter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for sharing! Are you looking for a famous Neuro Hospital in Ludhiana? Then it would be best if you visited Neurociti Hospital. They have state-of-art-facility and ultra-modern medical tools. Contact them for immediate help.

    ReplyDelete